Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Restoring an Old Farm House

Hello all,
I have been out of the loop because I have been helping my brother restore our family's farm house. This is the house my father grew up in. It is well over 100 years old and has been left idle for the last 40 years. He started the work and then called me in to help. It is an arduous task because the house is so outdated. Fixtures have to be replaced and the color scheme that was in there was....well.......bright. The bathroom was purple, one room was green, the other blue. The kitchen is an altogether different shade of green, the living room is purple and the room right off of the kitchen is yet another shade of blue. The wallpaper that is still on the walls is tattered but you can see the beauty that was once there. The floor in the entry way is to die for. The covering is a precursor to modern linoleum and it has the look of a fine rug. It is red with lovely roses. I don't currently have a picture but I will procure one at a later date. The general structure of the house remains but there is updating. The walls will be a tan color with white trim. My brother is lovingly restoring all the wooden floors. He is sanding them by hand! He has a small palm sander and is going board by board in an effort to restore the wood without damaging it.

The weather has been just shy of the average temperature of the pits of hell. We worked in 100+ degree weather with no AC. We did have fans and open windows. Needless to say there was much sweating and LOTS of water consumed!

This whole effort is a labor of love. When it is finished I will post before and after pictures!

No comments:

Post a Comment