Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Summer Hobbies

This summer has not gone the way I wanted it to. I have been sick with persistent bronchitis and it has prevented me from doing many of the things on my summer list.
Not one to be idle I took up a hobby. My father in law is an amazing carver. He took me under his wing and has been teaching me to carve. He and two other gentlemen meet on Fridays and spend the day carving. They are kind enough to share their love of carving with me.

Below are some of my carvings. I started out small and have only gone upward!

My very first carving was a thumb nail...get it....a thumb with a nail?

The first, but not the last cat I will ever carve.

I don't think I can ever have too many idea books!

My very own carving box for my tools!
The box filled with tools! My father in law made the box and Richard fixed the handle including my name!

Cardinals in the rough out stage, the shaping and the final Cardinal.

Carved and wood burned in preparation for paint.

Finished product. It is a plant stick. I just need to seal the base so it won't rot in the flower pot.
Mr. Mouse


I was told that I had to do a few things to be a "real" carver. One of them is to cut myself. I can now cross that off my list!
Yup, cut myself good!
The point is that a crafter can never be idle. We will always find SOMETHING crafty to do! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment