Thursday, July 4, 2013

We All Scream for Ice Cream!!!

Summer in Texas is brutal. Where I live a typical day's temperature can climb over 100 degrees. That is just shy of the average temperature of the pits of Hades I am told.

During the summer months I admit that I consume ice cream, smoothies and popcicles at an almost alarming rate in an effort to stay cool. My entire family loves a cool treat on a hot day and when I say family I include my pups and kittens too!

My favorite ice cream recipe is from my mother. It is easy and yummy.  I make the pet friendly items primarily for the dogs but I share a little with the cats too. I mean, how can I resist those kitten eyes??


Soda Pop Ice Cream

4 cups cold soda pop
- you can use any flavor but I tend to like Big Red. It gives the ice cream a bubble gum flavor. 
1 14 oz. can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup whole milk

Mix all the ingredients and put it in your ice cream freezer.
Freeze as directed.
You can put the ice cream in the freezer after it comes out of the maker but I can never wait that long!
Try putting them in pops for a quick treat. I use push up pop molds. You can get them at Amazon dot com.

I used to go and buy Frosty Paws for my pups but the cost became a bit much and I wasn't sure what sort of stuff was in them. If I am eating better than my pets will too. They are family after all!!
Puppy Ice Cream

1 ripe banana
8 ounces of plain yogurt (Greek yogurt is ideal)
1 tablespoon of peanut butter 

Mash the banana and put it in your food processor. Add the yogurt and peanut butter. Blend till creamy. 
Put your ice cream into a container that is suitable for the size dog you have. 
I use yogurt cups because they are reusable and with a 77lb dog and a 30lb dog ice cube sized treats don't last long. 
If you don't want to give your family ice cream you can also freeze various fruit for a cool treat. I adore frozen grapes. They are bite sized and keep well when you are sitting outside. As they thaw they become slushy inside their skins so when you bite them you get a pop of icy grapey goodness!
You can also freeze bananas, strawberries and so on.

For your pups you can freeze beef broth or chicken broth. Add in a few fruits or veggies but remember that dogs don't need the added salt or spices so make sure that the broth is plain. 

These are just a few suggestions for keeping cool on a hot day. I hope you enjoy them! : )

No comments:

Post a Comment