Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Choosing Colors for Your Home

The first rule of choosing color.......

there is no wrong color if you like it!


There are many schools of thought on color. Some say dark colors make a room look smaller while others say it brings out the drama. There are those who feel that a monochromatic color scheme is THE way to go. Others say that mixing colors and patterns can't be beat. Me? I do what I feel. If I like a color or pattern I go for it.

I have been told that my house looks like a rainbow exploded in it and that is just fine with me! : )
When I am looking at colors that I might want to put in my house I raid the paint chips at my local Lowe's. I bring home any and everything that looks like the color I want. I then hang the paint chips up and leave them there for a while. You can't trust the color in the store. You MUST bring it home and look at it under the lights in your house.
Color swatches to help me choose the right color for my bathroom.

Once you have a paint chip or two picked out utilize the sample sizes of the paint. At my local Lowe's you can get an 8oz sample color in various types of paint for about $3.00 each.
Bring those samples home and paint the wall. Yes, you will have streaks of paint on the wall but you can truly tell what looks good and what you can live with. You may find that sunny yellow really isn't that sunny when you get it home with it.

Last but not least. Paint isn't permanent! If you paint your walls a color that you find you don't like it isn't the end of the world. You just jot back to your paint store and choose another color!


No comments:

Post a Comment