Monday, June 30, 2014

Something Old Made New

Just last Saturday I went on my weekly jaunt to the local garage sales. It was later in the day when I happened upon my bargain. The lady hosting the sale was tired and had marked everything down to rock bottom prices to get it gone! I picked up a lovely side table for a mere $2.00. The top was distressed but I was not discouraged.
 I brought it home and the cat promptly claimed it as his. Gotta love my Mister! : )
After removing the cat I cleaned it off and got to work. I decided that I would use decorative stones to make a sort of mosaic. Since my decor is mostly '70s I wanted to use orange and green stones with a few clear ones thrown in for an accent. I didn't have enough stones so I had to jot to Michael's for more.
While there I found some awesome M&Ms that I just HAD to try and I have to say that I highly recommend Birthday Cake M&Ms.
Once home I laid out my stones but the brown table did nothing to show off the loveliness of the stones so I took them off and painted the top of the table white.
I wanted the stones in a random pattern so I put them in a bin and then dumped them out on the table and set about turning them to the flat side. I tried very hard not to let my ocd get in the way of leaving them randomly placed.
I think I did pretty well. I will be using a two part resin (epoxy) to finish it off. I haven't been able to do it yet because of the rain. I don't want to risk having it bubble or warp in any way. When we go back to our hot as hades Texas days I will put the resin on.


No comments:

Post a Comment