Wednesday, June 29, 2016

Making Things Match

I admit that I am a garage sale addict. I can't pass up a sale. Never is it too hot, too cold, too rainy or too late for me to go to a sale. In my experience finding matching items at a garage sale is rare. If you do find them you usually have to pay a bit more for them. Since I like to decorate on a dime I don't like paying the higher prices. Through the power of spray paint you can make anything match! I admit that I buy cans of spray paint like most women buy shoes. I can stand in front of the display and just dream!
My favorite spot in our local Lowe's.

The other day at a garage sale I came across these beauties.
They were green, purple and silver but they all had round holes. When I decorate I use the rule of putting together odd numbered items. Since I want to use them at night I chose to paint them black. I will be burning citronella candles in them to try to stave off the mosquito attacks that happen when the sun goes down. Since I knew there would be heat I chose to use a spray paint for high heat.
When I spray paint I always start at the bottom. 
I put on a coat or two and let it thoroughly dry. 
If you don't let it dry you will wind up with a bag stuck to your item.


Once the coat is dry I move to the outside. 
I spray a coat, let it dry and then go back to cover anything I missed. 

Wearing gloves is a good idea especially if you have a tendency to be messy like I am!

It has been raining here so I don't have pictures of the candles lit. I will add them later so check back!

No comments:

Post a Comment