Thursday, June 6, 2013

Guerilla Gardening

Guerrilla Gardening is a term that I hadn't herd until I saw a recipe for seed bombs on Mavis Butterfield's site One Hundred Dollars a Month. For those (like me) who hadn't heard of this type of gardening it seems that the phrase was coined in 1973 by Liz Christy and her Green Guerrilla group in 1973 in the Bowery Houston area of New York.  If you want to read more about it check out this Wikipedia link.

Now to the real purpose of this post: spreading beauty in the world.
We are surrounded by ugliness in many forms and many times we feel that there is nothing we can do. To that I say, yes, you guessed it, poppycock! Beauty is there and waiting to be found or helped along. Haven't you ever walked along and noticed a flower growing between the cracks of the pavement? Mother Nature won't be stopped so why not just give the old girl a hand?

Seed bombs are a great way to do just that. Below are several links to sites that tell you different ways to make (or buy ~ick~) the same thing. You may find that you like one or a combination of a couple of them. I haven't done this yet but I am going to do it next spring. Our summers here in Texas are far too brutal to start seeds out in June so I must patiently wait. I don't have to be idle though. I will plot, plan and gather all the stuff together for my very own seed bombs! When I get ready to make the drops I will take before and after pics to share! : )

Directions to MAKE your seed bombs:
Mavis Butterfield's Seed Bombs
WikiHow to make a seed bomb
Heavy Petal

If you want to BUY (why buy when you can make!?) take a look at these sites.
Anthropologie dot com
GreenAid
Think Geek (one of my favorite stores!)



No comments:

Post a Comment